Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Butterick 5610 , A Summer Top




I loved this pattern   Butterick 5610 as soon as I saw it. Despite a busy week, I managed to cut it out and sew it in a fairly short amount of time.


 B5610






The fabric is a cotton /lycra with striations. The lace is a poly/lycra blend. I had to line the yoke with self fabric so the lace wouldn't show bra straps.

The pleating was somewhat of a challenge. I wasn't sure about the part of the directions that stated "make inner pleat" was for. I ignored it and ended up with a total of six pleats which is what shows on the pattern drawing.





My fabric was very stretchy and I found the corners of the yoke a challenge to pair with the lower bodice. It all worked out in the end.



I decided to do the elasticized hem. I really like this top. It's not a great look for a busty lady, but I don't care. I'll enjoy wearing this in hot muggy weather this summer.



Stay tuned for two lace dresses,one dating back to 1966, and the one I've just finished for a special event.

Hope you've found time to sew.
More later from

8 comments:

Faye Lewis said...

Your top is lovely! Can't wait to see your new lace dresses.

Beverly said...

I have this pattern, but haven't make it yet. Yours turned out great. I like the lace.

Debs - debslosingit.com said...

Love this top! I may have to add it to my patern wishlist.

Unknown said...

Hi, Diana -

I love this top. It looks so comfortable... and yes, easy to make. Can't wait to see that lace dress.

I am currently traveling and don't have access to a sewing machine. Before taking off for my trip, however, I did manage to get a low of sewing done. I've been toying with the idea of adding a piece about my summer wardrobe to Sewing Insight when I get back home.

Diana said...

Thank you Ladies. Vernelle, I don't know how to access your Sewing Insight anymore or how to use your Google + sight ???Is it Ok for me to leave a comment there?

Jean said...

Great top! I love the lace detail and the pleating. Very pretty!

Cennetta said...

My goodness. This cute top is on my list too. Love the lace yoke. I think it a great looking comfortable summer top.

RitaJ said...

The pleats are giving me problems too! I'm not exactly sure where the middle pleat is suppose to attach to.